Forget what the brochure says, we put the new Volkswagen MK7.5R on the dyno.
The question that we are going to address is, how much improvement of power vs prior generation of MQB platform MK7R. Its busy day for me and more things to do before end of the day so I will keep it short
Lets take a look at the graph of two different dyno – Blue belongs to the new MK7.5R and the red one belongs to MK7R (my car). Both cars have clocked under 1,000km for dyno, using Ron 97 fuel with equally stock hardware. My 0.02 cents;
- 7.5R is rated 310ps but detuned to 290ps in Malaysia and runs 277hp on the dyno – which gives us around 5.5% power loss. Don’t ask me why some use 15% powertrain loss to calculate BHP or how a GTI from 230bhp to 340bhp;
- I noticed that the 7.5R is choking at the end of the RPM, i reckon it needs more air;
- My datalog (no time to study thoroughly but i recall very briefly) the intake air temp is on the high side and we should get a better HP with better temp;
- Note also the AFR is a little bit lean and from my logs, the Golf R is pushing 1.3bar boost stock – will look a the data again later;
- Overall, i find the transmission on the 7.5R much smoother than the 7R DQ250 but I did not do a full out test mode – why? because contrary to believes, the car is NOT MINE.
However, I would like to get one to do FULL ON test mode but I guess that’s going to be tough unless someone kind enough to lend me for a few days – free stickers for you ok?
The question that everyone is asking – how does the Golf R benchmark against the Honda FK8R?
A few months back, I had a FK8R for a few days – I did say that I am going to compare the car, but this is not a review – at least not now. Based on this chart that i extracted from the same dyno; my 0.02 cents again;
- FK8R peak power (green) seems to be higher than Golf R (blue) but from early to mid range, the Golf R seems to be better than the FK8R;
- It does felt the the FK8R has more power at higher RPM when I drove it;
- For drag, I reckon both cars will be quite similar depending on the distance – 200m, launch control, I think the Golf R will emerge as the winner but anything more than 400m, I believe the FK8R may have advantage.
Anyway, that’s just my very tip of the iceberg view – without looking at data / performance boxes, its hard to make a conclusion – heck, I did not even push the Golf R through corners but I do note that the 7.5R feels more agile vs the 7R – something I noticed at Nurburgring too.
Till the next update.